Hey guys! So I had a ton of you respond to my stories when I was talking about not ever washing my hair. Honestly the best thing I ever did! The funny thing is, I actually started this by accident. After I had Liam, it was the middle of summer I was hormonal and having heat flashes, so I literally just always had my hair up in a bun! I hardly ever washed it and I noticed that it was so much softer and shinier. The more I did it, the longer it would take to become greasy and flat. I had always heard that you can train your hair to be less greasy so I decided to give it a try!
First off, you'll definitely be needing some dry shampoo! Thankfully, I wasn't working or having to go anywhere much so I could just throw my hair up in a messy bun and go with it- no matter how greasy it was. If you have the ability to do this for a couple days- I would do it. The main goal of "training" your hair is to teach it not be oily! Washing it everyday and rinsing out all the oils your hair needs just makes it produce more, making your hair greasy! It is important to keep your hair moisturized, especially if you are not washing it often! I use a hair oil, to keep the ENDS ONLY of my hair soft and silky. Also, using salon grade shampoo will make a MAJOR difference. Cheap products that can be purchased at drug stores and Wal Mart create a waxy build up that is bad for hair! I will be linking my favorite products later in the post!
I didn't follow any real plan, I just did what works best for me. So I will just share with you exactly what I did and how my hair reacted. Now I usually wash my hair, let it air dry and then curl it with a wand. My curls will last about a week (of course I have to touch them up slightly every other day) and I use dry shampoo usually the last two days!
5 days no wash
So the first week you just kind of get to know your hair. Were you just washing your hair everyday out of habit? How many days does it take you hair to get so greasy you can't stand it?
The first time I did this, I went 5 days without washing my hair. Normally I could go 1-3 depending on how I styled my hair. So the last two days I had my hair up in a bun! There are natural oils in your hair that can only be produced by your body. The best conditioning treatment is oily, greasy hair! (as gross as it sounds).
4 days no wash
For some reason, I remember the second time being WAY worse than the first time I went a long time without washing my hair! My hair was greasier than it had ever been and I ended up using dry shampoo on day 2 and 3. Day 4 was a greasy messy bun! Your hair will feel amazing after letting it sit super greasy for a day- trust me!
6 days no wash
My hair was SO SHINY and soft this week! Although by day 4 I noticed the ends of my hair felt very dry, so I applied a VERY TINY amount of my favorite hair oil ( I have two & I'll link them below) and rubbed it on the ends of my hair and they felt brand new again! Days 5 and 6 I used dry shampoo!
7 DAYS NO WASH
Guys this was literally life changing! Especially with a baby- I had no time to get ready, but I still wanted to feel pretty and put together. All I had to do was run a brush through my hair or add some dry shampoo! Having super curly hair, I thought I would never be able to do this! My hair has ALWAYS been high maintenance so I am so glad to have whipped it into shape! 😂
- Moroccan oil- This stuff smells AMAZING and makes your hair so soft and shiny! I use on the ends of my hair if they are looking or feeling dry and a little bit on wet hair when I get out of the shower!
- BB Hairdresser's Oil- again smells amazing! I do the same things with this as I do the Moroccan oil. I just switch back and forth!
- Redken All Soft has been one of my favorite salon shampoos for years! It leaves your hair so soft and light! ANNDD it's not super expensive. Jc Penny's usually has it on sale!
- OLAPLEX- I cannot tell you enough amazing things about this product. If you are a blonde you HAVE TO HAVE this stuff. Amazing hair masks for color treated or bleached hair!
- Pureology Hydrate- another good shampoo and conditioner if you have thick, curly, or dry hair!
- Hydrate sheer- Good for my girls who have dry hair, but it's thinner!
- Matching conditioners
- MilkShake Purple Shampoo- I get asked all the time how I get my blonde from being brassy and this is the secret!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE this purple shampoo! and it lasts forever!
- My favorite dry shampoo! I don't reccomend the ones that color your hair! They make it feel funny but any of the scented ones work great!